Income Portfolio Fact Sheet
Part of the New Multiple Portfolio Fund approved by the FSC (Offering Circular)
What is the Barita Unit Trusts Income Portfolio?
The Barita Unit Trusts Income Portfolio is similar to a mutual fund that enables small and large investors to pool their savings in a common fund with the potential of earning higher rates. It also allows investors to take advantage of investment opportunities in a wide variety of instruments that would not normally be available to them as individual investors.
The Portfolio is Jamaican Dollar denominated with investments in high grade interest bearing instruments such as:
- Government paper
- Corporate paper
- Bank of Jamaica instruments
- Preference Shares
- Promissory Notes
Why invest in the Barita Unit Trusts Income Portfolio?
- Its unique feature is its ability to accommodate individuals who wish to have their interest paid out at regular intervals, while principal investments are rolled over to the next interest payment period. (Please note that interest is taxed at each roll-over period.)
- The Portfolio is professionally managed to maximize the greatest returns to investors.
- Investors benefit from pooling to earn competitive interest rates.
- Monies are invested in a Fund that is governed and secured by a Trust Deed.
Are the funds safe?
Barita Investments Limited, the parent company of Barita Unit Trusts Management Company Limited is listed on the Jamaica Stock Exchange and is licensed by the Financial Services Commission. Assets in Barita's Unit Trusts Income Portfolio are held by an independent Trustee – First Caribbean International Securities Limited, as prescribed by the Trust Deed.
Under the Trust Deed, the investments and cash must be registered in the name of and held by the Trustee on behalf of the unit holders. This means that investors monies are 100% segregated from Barita as well as First Caribbean International Securities Limited.
How does it work?
- You purchase units in the Barita Unit Trusts Income Portfolio, and a minimum purchase of 1,000 units is required to open an account.
- In this Portfolio, all interest earned for the month (after income tax and expenses are deducted), will be distributed equally to each unit outstanding, and for those clients not withdrawing interest, their allotment will be converted into units and added to their accounts.
- Investments may be made through:
- An agreed salary deduction from your employer.
- Cheques (personal or payable to Barita Unit Trusts Management Co. Ltd.).
- Our 'Debit Invest' facility, where you may use your debit card to process JA$ transactions up to a maximum of JA $150,000 daily.
- Cash up to a maximum of US $500 or JA$100,000.
- Please note that these terms are subject to change without notice
- You may encash at anytime with 5 days notice. There are however provisions for emergencies.
- (Please note, penalties apply if encashed within 90 days of purchase).
- Semiannual statements are provided to all account holders, and on demand.
Barita Unit Trust Rates